The Székely Mikó College

On count Imre Mikó’s own expense, Gusztáv Zofahl, architect from Budapest, made the plan of the school's wing in the city centre in 1870. The laying of the cornerstone took place on June 27 the same year, however, the construction was finished only in 1877 due to the repeated interruptions caused by the lack of money. With the donation of 60000 Hungarian koronas in 1876, count Imre Mikó provided the possibility of the further maintenance and development of the school. Between 1890 and 1892, thanks to the financial support provided by the town and the state, the southern wing was constructed based on the plans of Ignác Alpár. In the northeastern part of this a two-storey tall assembly room was furnished, however, the earthquake in 1940 caused so many damages that the height of the room had to be reduced to one storey. Its research library with almost 35000 volumes is highly valuable.


József Álmos

Year: 1870-77

Adress: Str. Gróf Mikó Imre Nr.1